Active Listening have become an super important these days behind Communication skills. It is important to understand point of view of others, build energy relation between speaker and listener etc. This can also add an habit of being empathetic.
Plan to improve your Active Listening skills
Here is the plan I created for myself for improving my active listening skill. I was an professional who is very bad at listening while iam making this plan.
Why I want become a active listener?
Iam an Consultant, I was involved in lot of clent calls wher discussion happen to define a scope of project.But due to this poor I have came across lot of difficulties i.e. missing out important details mentioned by client while defining scope.of project ,also forget other details discussed during the meetings etc . All these pushed me into situations where my performance hampered alot, due to escalations.
Finally I relaized that I need to be come an active listener, also my current role demand me to build active listening skills on priority to advance my career to next levels.
Active Listening Habits/Activities
Here are the list of activities, habits that supported me to become an active listener
- Taken responsibility of organizing meetings,sending out meeting agendas etc.
- Made an habit of sending out MOM(meeting of minutes) to the audience after every meeting, also asking audience to feel free to include the missing details etc.
- Keeping myself away from devices during interaction with others
- Maintaining eye contact with the speaker
- Asking multiple questions to get clarification for understanding more details if required
- Finally reiterate details at the end of the meetings so that we will not miss the details that are important
All these activities/habits helped me alot to become an active listener enhancing my listening skills. Hope this will also help any one looking out to improve their listing skills.
Please let me know additional activities,hobies that help you in improving listening skills through comments.